- Background Research activities and research findings publication is still being developed in Indonesia especially within the academic community. It is proven by the requirement to file profiles in those two areas as part of the process to increase the level of professional academicians. Furthermore, judge by the above general situation it is not strange to realize that Tobacco control is not a popular research topic within the academic community in Yogyakarta and in Indonesia. The limited publication worsening the situation resulted in the absence of local regulation on public no smoking area, which finally contribute to the increasing number of (new younger) smokers. To increase the understanding about the danger of smoking in the youth population and to enact the importance of local regulation on public no smoking area it is necessary to popularise research topics on tobacco control and its publications. The research finding will become part of a speaking data to support the enactment. The research topic is determined by using the MPOWER strategy developed by the WHO. The inline strategy will equip the community and individuals with the necessary tools to fight tobacco use. Thus, the 2014 seed research grant program, as part of the research network project between MTCC UMY and the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, is a sustainability program to promote tobacco control research related activity using the MPOWER strategy among the scientists in Indonesia. The target audience for publication are all Research Unit of Higher Education Institution/University and those who are interested in tobacco control research in Indonesia. The publication will be done through wesite, email and posters.
- GoalsDevelop a competitive seed research grant program where scientists can use and apply MPOWER-related tobacco control strategy in their research projects to strengthen TC activities in Indonesia.
- BudgetThe budget for Seed Research Grant is US$ 35000 to cover 10 researchers supporting MPOWER issues. The majority of the funds should be used to support the research.A proportion of the funds could be put toward covering costs of scientists’ allowance.
- The amount for each of 10 winners of seed research grant is US$ 3500 (three thousand and five hundred dollars) b. It will be disbursed in three instalments of 50%, 30% and 20% 4. Criteria for selecting Seed Research Grantees a. Researcher from every corner of Indonesia that concern with TC related activities.
- Writing an appropriate research proposals related to MPOWER topics.
- Their Research proposal should be submitted to MTCC committee as scheduled to be reviewed, evaluated and selected.
- MTCC selection panel decision reserved the right to dice on the winner of Seed Research Grants based on desk and presentation evaluation.
- Do and write their research in 8 (eight) months after the contract signed.
- Criteria for assessing progress and outcomes: How will we know if we are succeeding?
- Minimum number of proposal submitted is 30. In the first selection stage, 20 finalist will be determined by the national reviewers to receive mentoring program before designated as grant recipient by the international committee of reviewers.
- There will be 10 seed research grant worth US$ 3500 granted with the topics that contribute to the new established Indonesian Tobacco Control Research network
- All findings from the seed research grant program will be presented in the Network Conference in December 2014 along with the final report presentation of the UMY-UNION Joint Program
- Mid Term Monitoring and Evaluation ProcessIt will be conducted to make sure that all the research activities are conducted as planned. Should there be any disturbance or deviation in conducting the research, then discussion will be held to make sure that all research target is met effectively and efficiently. The monitoring and evaluation process can be conducted either by inviting all grantees to gather in a meeting place at the same time or the Mentors can do the monitoring and evaluation visit to the researcher place. The monitoring and evaluation process will be recorded using the Monitoring and Evaluation form.
- Steering committe : Rector UMY Hilman Latief, PhD.
- Project Director : Mutia Hariati Hussein
- PIC/Chairman : Isnaini Muallidin/Fauzi Ahmad Noor
- Secretary : Pinasti Utami
- Supporting staff : Henri Setiawan
- Selection Team : 3 (three) Internal Reviewer and Mentor:
- Dra. Yayi Suryo Prabandari, M.Si., PhD (from QTI/Quit Tobacco Indonesia with behavioral science background)
- dr. Orizaty Hilman, PhD (Cand.) (From Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, UMY with strong community health background)
- Abdillah Ahsan, PhD (Researcher from The Demographic Institute, Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia with strong Statistical background)
3 (three) International Reviewer:
- Kibria Naseeb, (from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health)
- Stephen Tamplin (from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health)
- Tara Singh Bam, PhD, MPH (from The Union)
- Sustainbility:The winners of seed research grant program will be mentored, contacted and kept well informed about TC activity through web/internet network and their progress will be monitored and reported to the donor. They will also be invited to the Conference to present/display their research findings and after the project end their involvement with tobacco control research network will be maintained through future MTCC by annual conference program.
Submission: Submit your research proposal to email@example.com (email subject: SRG 2014) by 25 February 2014.
You may sent your proposal in Bahasa Indonesia format.